Happy Birthday USA!
Make this a 4th to remember by keeping America Shining from Sea to Sea
How does it work? For a reasonable sponsorship fee, we do the cleaning; you get affordable marketing on well-traveled highways and America can put much needed resources into other road safety measures. Sponsor-A-Highway in your community today!
What a great way to say Happy Birthday USA!
So summer is finally here and if you are like most of us, you will be spending some time in your car with kids this summer. Here are some tips from real MOMs on what to have handy in your car to make the adventure more enjoyable.
- Doggy bags: “Yes, doggy bags. Throw a roll of these bags into your beach bag for wet bathing suits, dirty diapers, sunblock explosions, taking home seashells, and every other mess or blowout you can and can’t plan for. The bags are small but super handy.”
- Pre-packaged snacks: It’s summer, so while we are always proponents of healthy eating, a bag of goldfish every now and then won’t hurt them. Particularly in summer when kids are getting a healthy dose of exercise.
- Blankets/Towels/Pillows: Some comfort from home can make a long ride or long day so much better.
- Trash bag/container: Keeping a trash bag or container in the car cuts down on cleaning after a trip and helps reduce LITTER everywhere!
- Mesh laundry bag: Great for carrying items such as sand toys to and from the beach, and you won’t take half the sand home with you because it is mesh.
And, always have a First Aid Kit handy: A First Aid kit should include:
Triple Antibiotic Ointment
Count the Adopt-A-Highway signs along the road. Remember to support those that are supporting clean and safe roads along your way! Go and enjoy the adventure!
Is your cellphone vibrating/chirping/buzzing? You are not alone. Americans are more plugged in now than ever before. In fact, every day people send upwards of 27 billion texts, download over 180 million apps, and make more than 12 billion calls. And that’s just cellphones. More than 182 billion emails are sent each and every day, worldwide. It is clearly time for a Tech Time Out!
Technology is a great thing, and we have all benefited from its convenience, but with summer starting and kids out of school, it is a fantastic time to unplug & unwind! We are not suggesting a week or even a day, just set aside some time to turn off your tech and enjoy life. Some unplugged ideas to fill your free time include:
- Soak up some Vitamin D – go outside to walk, hike, bike, fish, swim and enjoy the great outdoors
- Read a book or magazine – not an on your iPad or eReader
- Play board or card games – the kids may be surprised that Scrabble was an actual board game before it was called “Words with Friends”
- Build something – be it a fort or a birdhouse, put your hands to work
- Try a new or old recipe from an actual cookbook
- Volunteer for a local cause – maybe Adopt-A-Highway?!
- Take the family for a drive – turn off the Navigation system and just hit the road
Oh yeah, while you take that drive look for Adopt-A-Highway signs and support our Sponsors!
However, with summer comes some new safety concerns for drivers and pedestrians. During the longer, lazier days, everybody needs to have a higher level of awareness due to increase in traffic in and around roads. Drivers should also expect bicyclists along roadsides as more and more people are taking advantage of this mode of transportation to commute to work, accomplish daily activities or enjoy a little exercise.
Some driving safety tips for the summer:
• slow down and be alert in residential neighborhoods
• take extra time at intersections, on medians and on curbs
• enter and exit driveways/alleys slowly
• watch for children on and near the roads
• never leave a child alone in a vehicle for any amount of time
• remember that children move in unpredictable ways – be alert
• put down the phone so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings
The most important safety tip to reduce pedestrian injuries and fatalities is simply to pay attention. Whether it is children at play, joggers, bicyclists, or neighbors visiting across the street, drivers need to be aware of their surroundings and alert to presence of those outside.
Just another safety reminder from Adopt-A-Highway! Enjoy Summer 2015!
Summer is the time to hit the open road! We mean that literally – it is one of the BEST times to add Adopt-A-Highway to your marketing strategy. Average daily traffic counts on busy interstates will soar in June, July & August, making them one of the best places to advertise. With more travelers and families out there on the roads exploring this great nation, you get more eyes on your sign and exposure for your business.
For more information on availability of locations email email@example.com
Wherever you decide for your adventure, did you know that gas prices will be lower this year than last summer? According to Gas Buddy, June will be slightly more expensive than July and August this year for gas. It might be a good idea to use some technology to keep your trip on a budget. AAA Fuel Cost Calculator allows you to budget your gas, it factors in your car make, model, year and type of road you are using to get from A to B. Fuelcaster.com predicts gas prices 24 hours in advance, so you can plan your fill up – today or tomorrow? It is always a good idea to tune into The Weather Channel to avoid bad weather and road conditions whenever possible. At the very least, be prepared for whatever Mother Nature throws at you by packing an umbrella, waterproof blanket and emergency kit.
To make the road trip more fun for your kiddos, try some of the following:
- Classic car games such as I Spy, I am Going on a Picnic and The Name Game.
- Give your kids a paper map (Rand McNally, AAA) and let them keep track of exits, scenic spots, towns, etc.
- Listen to your kids, if they want to stop at a location DO IT – research and learn about the location. If they get a say, they will be more engaged.
- Pack snacks and drinks to avoid the fast-food frenzy. Don’t forget wet wipes for clean-up of any spills or sticky fingers.
- Stop at rest stops along the way, not just for the restroom but to burn off a little energy. Pack a jump rope, baseball gear or a Frisbee. Spend 15 minutes or so getting the wiggles out.
- Teach your kids NOT to be litterbugs. Take a look at the roadways – are they clean or dirty? Talk to your kids about litter and its impact on our environment.
In our experience, some of the most memorable family vacations happen on the open road. So enjoy and get out there this summer! Oh, and by the way, support those Adopt-A-Highway sponsors you see along the way!
Are you taking a road trip this Memorial Day weekend? Well, you are not alone! AAA reports that about 37.2 million motorists will hit the US highways on Memorial Day weekend – Thursday May 21st- Sunday May 25th. This represents almost a 5% increase over last year and the highest level of travel for the last decade. Lower gas prices and an improved economy are part of the reason. It also shows that Americans are ready to get summer started after a grueling winter in most of the nation. Auto travel is by far the most popular form of transportation on the holiday weekend. Of course, everybody loves a road trip! Make sure you plan ahead for a smoother trip and enjoyable holiday with a quick driveway car inspection. Be sure to check the following:
• Fluids – oil, brake & transmission fluids
• Hoses & belts
• Tires – both pressure and tread
• Wipers & wiper fluid
• Exterior lighting – make sure all bulbs are working properly
AAA reports that the most common roadside assistance calls are for dead batteries, flat tires and lockouts. A quick check can save you a lot of stress. Also, not a bad idea to download AAA ap (AAA.com/mobile) just in case!
Drive safe and support those Adopt-A-Highway sponsors you see along the way!
As parents, most of us have experienced a child and the dentist office – not a very fun experience. Our featured sponsor has creatively changed that. Children’s Dental Theatre in St. Louis, has taken the dread out of the dentist visit for kids. Children enjoy a movie in one of two theaters, and continue the movie in the exam room! This approach to dental care for children has won rave reviews from both parents and kids. Children’s Dental Theatre provides preventive dental care, including:
- Cavity Prevention
- Dental Cleanings
- Dental Exams and X-rays
- Dental Sealants
- Tooth Brushing
- As well as other services
They have put some fun into a dentist visit for kids (and parents too!) It is so very important to make kids comfortable going to the dentist to set up for a lifetime of proper oral health.
Children’s Dental Theatre’s participation in the Adopt-A-Highway program has been the most effective marketing tool, reaching new and potential patients daily. The program has allowed us to contribute to our community in a meaningful way that resonates with our patient base.”
Jennifer Jones, Partner Children’s Dental Theatre | St. Louis, MO
We are proud to have Children’s Dental Theatre as an Adopt-A-Highway sponsor! Look for their sign on I-70 East at the Kingshighway Blvd. exit. and visit them at www.childrensdentaltheatre.com for more information or to make your appointment today!
Adopt-A-Highway: Volunteer & Sponsorship
The term and concept of Adopt-A-Highway is well-known throughout the United States. Lesser known, is the fact that most states offer two very different Adopt-A-highway programs.
Volunteer Adopt-A-Highway Program
The first is a Volunteer Adopt-A-Highway program, in which organizations or individuals sign up to clean a certain segment of roadway. Most often twice a year clean up is suggested for Volunteer programs. These programs have been very successful and are of great value to any community. However, there are some limitations due to traffic safety and an increased danger in the litter being thrown to side of the roads – needles, meth pots and broken bottles.
On highly traveled highways, it is unsafe for volunteers to be out collecting litter. It is also extremely expensive for state DOTs to keep the highways litter-free. In comes the Sponsor-A-Highway program. It is a simple concept, with great marketing power. Here is how it works:
- A business, organization or individual pays a fee to sponsor a 1- or 2-mile segment of a highway or Interstate.
- They get a prominent sign, featuring their name and logo on that segment.
- Our trained crews come in a clean the sponsored location anywhere from every 2-weeks to 6 times a year, depending amount of litter, location and DOT requirements
Both Adopt-A-Highway and Sponsor-A-Highway programs improve the community in which they are based and help divert funds that would be used on litter removal to greater safety issues. We hope that everybody gets involved and contributes in one way or another. To find a program in your area: go to www.adoptahighway.net or your state DOT website.