However, with summer comes some new safety concerns for drivers and pedestrians. During the longer, lazier days, everybody needs to have a higher level of awareness due to increase in traffic in and around roads. Drivers should also expect bicyclists along roadsides as more and more people are taking advantage of this mode of transportation to commute to work, accomplish daily activities or enjoy a little exercise.
Some driving safety tips for the summer:
• slow down and be alert in residential neighborhoods
• take extra time at intersections, on medians and on curbs
• enter and exit driveways/alleys slowly
• watch for children on and near the roads
• never leave a child alone in a vehicle for any amount of time
• remember that children move in unpredictable ways – be alert
• put down the phone so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings
The most important safety tip to reduce pedestrian injuries and fatalities is simply to pay attention. Whether it is children at play, joggers, bicyclists, or neighbors visiting across the street, drivers need to be aware of their surroundings and alert to presence of those outside.
Just another safety reminder from Adopt-A-Highway! Enjoy Summer 2015!