Litter and debris on roads cause car accidents. All that it takes is for some trash in the road and it is an accident waiting to happen. Whether it is the result of a Toyota Prius running over a piece of metal on the highway or an RV swerving to avoid trash, you can indirectly cause an accident by littering. Unsecured loads are responsible for an estimated 25,000 accidents each year in the United States, resulting in approximately 80-90 deaths per year (Source: AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety). To make sure your vehicle is road-worthy, please review the following tips:
- Use tarps, bungee cords, netting, straps or rope
- Put lighter weight items at the bottom of the load
- Tie larger items directly to your vehicle
- Don’t overload your vehicle
Finally, and honestly the most important, is answering one simple question should indicate if your load is secure:
WOULD I FEEL SAFE IF I WERE DRIVING BEHIND MY VEHICLE?
Adopt-A-Highway Litter Removal is all about road safety. Please get a quote to see how you can make a difference by sponsoring a highway!
Boost marketing with multiple Sponsor-A-Highway signs!
We have many sponsors that opt to sponsor multiple segments of highways – some in a single market, some across the nation. Many sponsors have 100+ signs, while others have three signs located near their primary business. Sponsor-A-Highway signage is very cost-effective. Any business can afford to boost marketing and make the program their own. It is scale-able to your budget constraints while making a big impact on customers and the community.
We asked why companies choose Sponsor-A-Highway to boost their branding and here is what a few said:
Literally, Johnson Automotive is the largest sponsor in the United States with over 300 signs and adding more all the time. They have found that multiple signs boosts marketing power!
Weddings@Bohemia Outlook has several signs in Delaware which have clearly increased their reach and brand awareness.
There is nothing that says it better than a client’s testimonial. We are proud to have happy sponsors! To boost YOUR marketing power go to our GET A QUOTE page and ask about our multiple sign pricing!
This New Years we are making a firm Resolution to Take A Phone Break. Distracted Driving causes more accidents every year, so we are putting down the phone once and for all.
Every day at every turn, you see people staring at their smartphones in public while eating, walking and driving. Are they receiving urgent emails or texts? Most likely not. They (like us) are checking headlines, watching a show or sports, catching up on social media or playing the latest game. Smartphones are integrated in our lives and are a valuable tool, but for most of us it has become a habit to check phones almost constantly. So, we are suggesting a New Year’s Resolution of taking a break from your smartphone every day (and ALWAYS while driving).
We are NOT crazy, just suggesting a 15-minute period one to two times per day that the phone is off-limits. See what happens – maybe more face-to-face interaction or being more present.
We at Adopt A Highway Litter Removal Service are up for the challenge, are you?
Sponsorship is defined as:
The financial or in-kind support of an activity, used primarily to reach specified business goals.”
Sponsorship is the fastest growing form of marketing in the U.S. It provides the ability to shape public perception in a way that is difficult with in-house marketing and branding efforts. And, sponsorship allows smaller companies to compete with larger companies. You can reach a small local market or large national market depending upon what you sponsor. There are literally thousands of opportunities to sponsor. All of which will increase your credibility, image, and prestige. Sponsorship is viewed in an extremely positive way. Consumers that see businesses making a greater effort to support the community or causes they feel are important are more likely to support that business.
May we suggest litter removal via Sponsor-A-Highway?!
Many municipalities and state agencies have addressed their funding shortfalls by selling naming rights for parks and buildings, train stations and more. Sponsor-a-Highway is similar. Litter removal costs are significant to transportation departments, by implementing a Sponsor-A-Highway program these costs are reduced. Sponsors pay a fee for litter removal and get a sign recognizing their sponsorship. Funds saved can then be used for other road safety initiatives.
Why Sponsor-A-Highway? Because it works!
Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in service of the United States of America. Memorial Day was borne out of the Civil War to honor our dead. After World War I, it was extended to include all service members who died in military action. Since 1971, Memorial Day has been observed on the last Monday of May. It is the tradition to fly the flag of the United States at half staff from dawn until noon. Other traditions include visiting cemeteries, memorials and placing American flags on each grave in national cemeteries.
Memorial Day weekend also heralds the unofficial start to summer and crowded travel days. As a Federal holiday all non-essential Government offices are closed, as are schools, and most businesses. A long weekend, warm weather and the approaching summer spirit means long weekend road trips and barbecues. An estimated 34 million people will drive more than 50 miles to celebrate over this weekend in 2017, according to AAA.
Since Memorial Day has taken on a weekend celebration feel, in 2000, Congress established a National Moment of Remembrance, asking Americans to pause for one minute at 3pm in an act of national unity. The time was chosen because 3pm “is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on the national holiday.” So take the weekend, the day or a moment to remember our fallen HEROES!
We at Adopt-A-Highway Litter Removal Service of America salute those that gave their life for our freedom! Be safe out there as you travel and remember to put trash in its place.
Litter removal costs the U.S. more than $11.5 billion annually, with businesses paying for approximately 80%; local/state governments, schools, and other organizations picking up (pun intended!) the remaining 20%. According to Keep America Beautiful’s Litter Study, here are some interesting facts:
- More than 50 billion pieces of litter are on U.S. roadways each year.
- The majority of this trash is less than 4 inches, making it difficult to clean-up.
- That is the equivalent of 6,729 pieces of trash per mile of roadway.
- As you may guess, tobacco products (cigarette butts and packaging) make up about 40% of this litter. Plastic and paper are the next biggest categories.
- Roadway litter comes from both drivers and pedestrians. Drivers cause (52%), pedestrians (23%), and improperly covered truck loads (16%).
The cost of cleaning up litter is high, but so are the environmental consequences. Wind and weather, traffic, and animals move litter around, potentially into gutters, lawns and landscaped areas, alleyways, and parking structures. Litter near storm drains and beach debris are also likely to wash into local waterways, with potential for serious environmental contamination.
Let’s stop this trashy habit – Sponsor-A-Highway today!
Boost marketing with multiple Adopt-A-Highway signs!
We have many sponsors that opt to sponsor multiple segments of highways – some in a single market, some across the nation. Some have 100+ signs, while others have three signs. Any business can afford to make the program their own – it is scale-able to your budget constraints while making a big impact on customers and the community.
We asked why sponsors choose Adopt-A-Highway (Sponsor-A-Highway) to boost their marketing and here is what a few said:
“My investment in five Sponsor-A-Highway signs in the St. Louis area is truly a win/win situation. Not only are we doing our part in helping keep our community cleaner, we are receiving a huge response from potential customers. The return we have experienced over the past year far exceeds our radio and billboard advertising. We bid on approximately 500 to 600 jobs every year, and at least one third were generated from our Sponsor-A-Highway signs. People really take notice of these signs.”
Walt Thorngren, Just Wooden Fences, Missouri
“To anyone looking to make a low-cost, high impact in their local community, I would recommend this program”
Brian Eastwood, Jobing.com, Arizona
“The best way to create presence, is to CREATE it. And, having more signs is a constant reminder or your existence”
Sam Ghanim, My Way Carpet, NJ
We couldn’t agree more. To increase your marketing exposure go to our GET A QUOTE page and ask about our multiple sign discount!
So summer is finally here and if you are like most of us, you will be spending some time in your car with kids this summer. Here are some tips from real MOMs on what to have handy in your car to make the adventure more enjoyable.
- Doggy bags: “Yes, doggy bags. Throw a roll of these bags into your beach bag for wet bathing suits, dirty diapers, sunblock explosions, taking home seashells, and every other mess or blowout you can and can’t plan for. The bags are small but super handy.”
- Pre-packaged snacks: It’s summer, so while we are always proponents of healthy eating, a bag of goldfish every now and then won’t hurt them. Particularly in summer when kids are getting a healthy dose of exercise.
- Blankets/Towels/Pillows: Some comfort from home can make a long ride or long day so much better.
- Trash bag/container: Keeping a trash bag or container in the car cuts down on cleaning after a trip and helps reduce LITTER everywhere!
- Mesh laundry bag: Great for carrying items such as sand toys to and from the beach, and you won’t take half the sand home with you because it is mesh.
Count the Adopt-A-Highway signs along the road. Remember to support those that are supporting clean and safe roads along your way! Go and enjoy the adventure!
At Adopt-A-Highway Litter Removal LITTER is a dirty word!
Littering has economic, legal and environmental impacts in the form of spending millions of dollars in cleaning up litter, huge fines if caught littering from a vehicle and damage to our surroundings that can effect plants and animals and can cause loss to local tourism industry. Why we at Adopt-A-Highway Litter Removal thinks LITTER is a Dirty word:
Litter can cause severe car accidents. All that it takes is for some trash in the road and it’s a car accident waiting to happen. You can indirectly cause a car accident by littering on the road.
It’s illegal. Though the fines vary by state, city and county, you will be charged if you are caught littering.
Lowers home values. Places with high littering also have lower home and property values and are more likely to be the site of fires.
It’s expensive…very expensive. Ever year millions upon millions of taxpayers’ dollars are spent cleaning up litter.
Environmental problems. Litter on the ground degrades natural areas, kills plants and animals. Cigarette butts, which make up half of all littered objects, take ten years to decompose because of cellulose acetate.
Litter can spoil water quality. The hazardous waste seeps into soil and can cause ground water pollution.
We can’t stop everybody from littering (although it is worth a try), we will commit to keeping the roads clean with your sponsorship! Contact us today for a quote.
We welcome Spring with open arms!
Spring brings relief from the winter weather, but also brings potholes, puddles, slippery roads. As the seasons change, so do road conditions. Stay safe on the road this spring with the following driving tips:
- Spring showers bring blooming flowers and wet roads. Slow down and increase your following distance when it rains. Keep in mind that even mist or light rain can mix with oil on the roads to create slick challenging road conditions.
- Check your windshield wipers, both front and back. Don’t drive faster than your wipers can clear water from the windshield.
- Puddles can impair brakes, obscure vision, or cause you to hydroplane. If you find your vehicle hydroplaning, gently ease your foot off the accelerator-do not brake.
- Warm weather brings motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians outside. Pedestrians may be texting, talking on phones, and listening to music, they can be as distracted as drivers. Be cautious at all times.
- If possible, go around potholes. Potholes-an effect of winter weather-can hurt your tires or throw your car’s front end out of alignment. If you cannot avoid a pothole, slow down, as the damage can be costly.
- Keep your tires properly inflated. Doing so can reduce damage from potholes, uneven pavement, and other road hazards.
- Spring weather can be temperamental, so be prepared for changes.
Now, go and ENJOY the great outdoors!