April 22nd is Earth Day 2014!
More than one billion people worldwide will take some action to protect this planet and the environment. The act can be as simple as planting a single tree or picking up one piece of litter. Each act and each person, young or old, can make a difference. That is what this grassroots environmental movement is all about. Earth Day was created by Gaylord Nelson, a Senator from Wisconsin, in 1970, to increase awareness of environmental problems. From its humble beginnings and simple concept, Earth Day is credited with the creation of the EPA and The Clean Air and Endangered Species Acts. Over the past 45 years, Earth Day has grown to the largest annual environmental event worldwide. Here are some simple ways to celebrate Earth Day:
- Walk or bike the kids to or home from school
- Plant something, preferable something edible
- Begin a recycling program at home or at work
- Turn off the lights
- Donate, reuse, up-cycle items that you are not using
- Feed the birds
Visit Earth Day Network for more ideas www.earthday.org
Or better yet, CALL or email Adopt-A-Highway Litter Removal Service of America, Inc. for a special Earth Day discount today!
The need for a clean environment continues and we hope you will be a part of it, we certainly will continue to clean the highways and recycle wherever we can!
November 15 is America Recycles Day!
Recycling is the easiest and most effective thing that ANYONE can do to protect our natural resources, conserve energy and reduce carbon emissions. It is a great day for showing that your business cares about the environment. Get into the Recycling act:
The national recycling rate has increased every year for the past 30 years.
The current recycling rate is 34.5%.
Adopt-A-Highway Litter Removal Service of America, Inc. works hard to Keep America Beautiful every day! We collect and recycle litter from America’s busiest roadways, with the help of our corporate sponsors, DOT partners and you! When you Adopt-A-Highway you let your customers know that you’re taking steps to help improve the environment for everyone!
If you don’t already recycle, now is a great time to start!
For the months of November and December, we will offer a special “Recycling Day” discount to help get YOU into the act.
The average American generates 3.5 pounds of trash every day – that’s a lot of trash. The most effective way to reduce waste is to not create it in the first place. Making a new product requires a lot of materials and energy: raw materials must be extracted from the earth, and the product must be produced and transported to where it will be sold. As a result, reduction and reuse are the most effective ways you can save natural resources, protect the environment, and save money.
Ideas on How to Reduce & Reuse:
- Buy used. You can find everything from clothes to building materials at specialized reuse centers and consignment shops.
- Look for products that use less packaging.
- Buy reusable over disposable items. Look for items that can be reused; the little things can add up. For example, you can bring your own silverware and cup to work, rather than using disposable items.
- Borrow, rent, or share items that are used infrequently, like party decorations, tools, or furniture.
- Donate. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure. Instead of discarding unwanted appliances, tools, or clothes, try selling or donating them.
If we all take minor steps every day to decrease the amount of waste we produce, we can help the environment for years to come.